Saturday, February 23, 2013

Walmart's 'Buy American' Campaign



I was surfing the web tonight and found this article by The Huffington Post. About a month ago, Walmart announced that they are going to pour $50 billion into buying more American made goods throughout the next 10 years. In May, they also are set to start hiring 100,000 newly discharged veterans over the next five years. Walmart says that both of these plans are to help boost the U.S. economy.
I had not heard this before I found this article tonight. I find it interesting and assume these two campaigns are set in place as mostly a reputation booster for Walmart. Traditionally, they have had a bad reputation to many people in regards to how much employees are paid and that they are not part of any union. I read in another article not too long ago that Walmart makes about $400 billion annually and if you break down the numbers $50 billion over 10 years is really not that generous of them. I think if Walmart was really wanting to give a boost to the economy they could/would spend a lot more more than that and still make an unbelievable profit. I have also noticed a trend lately among different brands shifting to promoting more patriotism. I think Walmart is following the lead.
What are your thoughts on this new campaign from Walmart?

1 comment:

  1. I have worked for Walmart in the past and the pay is pretty terrible. I didn't find it too terrible for myself because I never intended to make a career of it, but there were people who had been working there for years making not much more than I made. It was barely above minimum wage.

    Sam Walton originally wanted Walmart and Sam's to carry only American made products and produce. Obviously that didn't happen, and I think by appealing to older veterans who would remember Sam Walton's mission statement, they are saying "Oops. Our bad. Now you can be a Walmart Greeter!"

    Perhaps I am both hypocritical and biased. You see, I can't stand Walmart because I know how they treat their employees, but where else will I go to shop?

    ReplyDelete